Even the greenest homes can benefit from a home energy audit. By giving your home an energy audit, you can discover where your money is going, and hopefully it isn't out the window. While some homeowners choose to do the audit themselves, professional services from Pittsburgh HVAC providers and electrical contractors are available to ensure that your energy audit is thorough and complete.
By taking this step, you are well on the path to making your home more energy efficient. While working with a team of professional technicians is always recommended, you can start preparing for your audit on your own using the tips below.
Performing an Energy Audit
- First, gather the last twelve months of utility bills. Use Energy Star's Yardstick to see how your home's energy usage compares with other homes in your area.
- Write down where your problem areas are--drafty and cold or stuffy and hot.
- Inspect the exterior of your home, checking for any areas that may be letting air in or out that aren't meant to--i.e. exhaust pipes
- Inspect the interior of your home for the same issues.
- Inspect the electrical components of the home. This process includes inspecting all outlets. Pittsburgh electrical contractors are your best bet for this step, even if you are doing this audit yourself. You may not see what the professional can.
- Inspect all combustion appliances to ensure they are clean and in proper working order
- Blower door test will show you where air may be escaping or getting in.
- Analyze your findings.
Summing Things Up
Once you have completed your initial energy audit, you may want to take care of anything you found that is sucking energy out of your home. Often homeowners discover that their home air conditioning system is outdated, a problem that is especially apparent as we approach the summer months. Work with your local Pittsburgh HVAC technician to help keep your home cool. They can help you decide whether your AC can be serviced or if it is time to replace it with an Energy Star product.
Professional plumbing services can help repair areas where plumbing is allowing air to leak in or out of the home. With so many different areas that allow pipes to come in and out of the home, this is often a trouble spot. Working with these professionals can not only help you reduce your energy consumption, but can help save you money in the long run. An energy efficient home not only saves money, but it also saves the environment as you take care of costly CO2 emissions.
The bottom line comes down to the fact that even though it is possible to perform an energy audit yourself, professionals are much more knowledgeable and have much more experience than the average homeowner. Working with a professional can have an initial output, but the cost will be recouped once the changes and fixes are completed as a result of the energy audit. Whichever way you choose to go, an energy audit can help you save money on utility costs as you save energy.
Give your home an energy makeover with help from the experienced team of technicians at Tudi Mechanical Systems. From plumbing and electrical to heating and cooling, our team of professional maintenance technicians is equipped to handle any of your household needs on your way towards improved energy efficiency. Sign up for the Tudi Home Comfort Plan today and keep your home running smoothly all year round!